Welcome to the Alabama State Portal Agent (ASPA) website. As an Alabama institution with a main (primary) campus physically
located in Alabama, your institution may be eligible to participate in the National Council-State Authority Reciprocity Agreement(s).
To be considered by NC-SARA, we recommend that you review the NC-SARA website or simply Google NC-SARA for more information.
This information is to ensure that your
institution is accredited by a Department of Education recognized accrediting body, provides assurances of financial stability, and
maintains a student complaint process comparable to the onsite process available to resident students.
SARA/ASPA Application Process
The following steps are provided to assist you in the application process:
- STEP 1: The institution’s representative should go to the NC-SARA website and download the appropriate document: http://nc-sara.org/content/sara-applications.
Also please download the NC-SARA Manual. It can be found at: http://nc-sara.org/files/docs/NC-SARA_Manual_Final_2016.pdf.
- STEP 2: In addition to the documents from STEP 1, a "Memorandum of Understanding between the Alabama State Portal Agent (ASPA) and
the Institution" should be downloaded and completed. The Initial Application MOU can be found
at http://ache.alabama.gov/Content/SARA/Initial-MOU.pdf. The Renewal Applicatoin MOU can be found at
- STEP 3: Upon completion of the NC-SARA Application and the ASPA MOU, submit both in hard copy along with an institutional warrant
(check) for the state service portal fee (only) based upon full-time enrollment (FTE) for the institution as provided on the scale
within the MOU. Warrants (checks) should be made out to "State of Alabama (ACHE-ASPA)." All documents and warrants (checks) should be mailed to
the following address: Alabama Commission on Higher Education, 100 North Union Street, Montgomery, AL 36104-3758.
- STEP 4: Upon receipt of the SARA application, MOU, and ASPA fee payment, the ASPA will notify the institutional contact that the review
is being conducted. If approved for membership, the ASPA will notify the institution by email and NC-SARA through the SalesForce
System. The institution does not need to submit its application to NC-SARA. If denied membership, the ASPA will notify the
institution of the decision and circumstances of the decision.
- STEP 5: With the completion of the registration review process by the ASPA, the institutional representative must register in
the NC-SARA System and pay national fees using the "SalesForce"
link provided by NC-SARA once they receive notice of SPA approval.
Once payment is made and confirmed at the aforementioned site, the institution will be notified. NC-SARA provides two means
of payment: credit card or institutional check. Upon posting, the institution will receive a "welcome letter" from NC-SARA.
All institutions participating in SARA are encouraged to continue reviewing the NC-SARA website and the Alabama Commission On
Higher Education's website www.ache.alabama.gov for updated information and available student complaint information.
Thank you for your application. Allow me to wish you good luck and welcome to SARA. You may contact me at AL.SARA@ache.edu
if you have questions. All inquires should be from the reciprocity institutional representative.
Memorandum of Understanding
Please click here
for Student Complaint.